Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ellen Kagan in Medicaland

My Photo

Today's featured memoir is Ellen Kagan's story, which I'm sure a lot of us can relate to:  trying to get appropriate care in a medical system which isn't geared for personal quirks and, if you are a patient in a teaching hospital, a fair number of the professionals who care for you are technically students.  Ellen was a patient in one of the best hospital systems in the country, so her story is even more poignant and alarming.  What I particularly admire about Ellen is that she tells her story on the radio, in a one-woman show to be produced in 2012, and on the net.  Her story is available on Kindle.

"My memoir, Ellen In Medicaland:True Stories of How I Fell Down Medicine's Black Hole and Still Lived After All is on Kindle. One chapter, Medical Care From Hell, is on my blog, www.elleninmedicaland.blogspot.com. My memoir tells of my off-the-wall, Twilight Zonish experiences as my Mom's caregiver and a patient at a Harvard-teaching hospital. 

To answer your questions, Bathsheba Monk: I am so proud of writing this book. It is truly empowering - to speak truth to power in a very outrageous way. I am now writing my one-woman show, based on Ellen In Medicaland, which I plan to perform in 2013. And for the past 17 years, I have been the Host/Producer of Your Health Care:Choice or Chance?, which teaches the public how to navigate the health system. There is Nothing like speaking the truth as you see it. And you do not need much money to do it. Just say it like it is. The best feeling in the world - and, in doing so, you empower other people. To learn more about what I do and to listen to some shows, log onto www.tvyourhealthcare.org.  Your Health Care:Choice or Chance? is on public access tv on Cape Cod, Wellesley and Burlington, as well as on podcast at www.tvyourhealthcare.org"...  Ellen Kagan

And now Ellen is writing about her adventures in Car-Land.  She's hitting all the hot buttons.

1 comment:

  1. Bathsheba, Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete