Saturday, September 29, 2012

It's always hard to get dumped....Jane Kenealy tells us in spectacular detail why that is! Enjoy. West Virginia in My Head by Jane Kenealy--one of the Best of the Memoir Writing Conference 2012

 
 
West Virginia in My Head
By
Jane Kenealy
I am an ex-reference librarian, occasional bakery clerk, and novice web designer. I began my first novel when I was seven, but had to abandon the project when I lost my pencil.
 
He came home, and went upstairs in silence.  No “good night”.  No “I’m going to bed.”  As usual, nothing.  I sat in my chair and watched him go up the steps, my legs curled up toward my body, my arms cradling my stomach.  I had confronted him a week ago about the other woman, and he had sworn that he would end it.  But then he had gone out again that very night, and every night thereafter.  This whole past week had been one of silences from him, and reading relationship rescue books for me.  Things were not going well. 
      I looked at the cover of the latest chirpy “you can fix it if you try” book that I had gotten from the library, and felt myself giving up, at least for the night.  I crept up the stairs to bed, quietly, each step careful to avoid the old house creaks.  I didn’t want to disturb him.  He got up earlier than I.  He was snoring already, just slightly.  I carefully crawled into my side of the bed.
            His cell phone lay on his dresser, mocking me.  West Virginia stirred, and I heard Nanny’s voice in my head.  “How long are you going to go on like this, child?.”  “Not long,” I thought.  “Not long at all.”  “Then get up out of that bed and DO SOMETHING.”  I obeyed, and slid my legs back out from under the sheets.  I reached for the cell and walked back downstairs, making the right at the bottom to go into the dining room.  I thumbed the machine on, and hit the menu choice for “Outgoing Calls”.  He had called Her five minutes after leaving home that night.
            Nanny was wide awake now.  “He ate your food and then called his hoore?”  Her remembered twang turned the noun into some sort of medieval epithet.  “He ate your food and then called his hoore with your dinner in his belly?”  Somehow that made it all worse: the ultimate insult.
            Nanny picked up a cast iron frying pan, and I picked up the cell phone that I had dropped.  We went back up the stairs together.
            I stood in the doorway, looking at the huddle of sheets that was my lying, cheating husband.  I hefted the phone in my hand, wanting to throw it at him, longing to scream unforgivable unforgettable devastatingly wounding things just this once.  My heart was banging in my ears, barely drowning out Nanny’s rumbles of rage.  “Heck, that little thing isn’t going to teach him anything.  You need a good frying pan.  Here.  Take mine.  Now that will get his attention.  Do some damage.  Show him you mean business.”
            “All that will do is get me arrested.”  I pictured the squib in the next day’s Times-News police blotter: “Angry librarian attacks husband with kitchen appliance.”  The Times-News always got things a little off-kilter.  Not good.  I would end up shamed when I was not the one who had done anything to be ashamed of.  Peter, the bastard, would become an automatic object of pity and concern.  “So sad.  Who knew she was so crazy.  What he must have put up with,” the populace would cluck.  He would love it.
            “Shut up, Nanny,” I told the voice in my head.  “There’s got to be a better way.  One that will shame him.  One that will remove him.”  “One that will teach him good!” Nanny piped up.  “No, Nan.  I’m not interested in him learning anything.  I just want him gone.”
            I turned and slid back downstairs, the phone still in my hand.  “Knowledge is powe,” I remembered from the posters at work.  This time I went through each text message, scanning it, then forwarding it to my work email.  Logging the days and times and numbers of the regular calls on the back of an old envelope.  Rummaging through his contacts list, and writing down Her phone number.  I worried momentarily that he would notice that I had been messing in his phone, but remembered that for all his pride in his technological know-how, he was really just a child performing simple monkey tricks when it came to electronics.  He could barely handle his email or find a document once he had saved it.  I was the technogeek of the family.  
            Guilt began to pick at me.  I was invading his privacy.  Dewey and a century of librarians waggled their collective fingers at me.  I told them to shut up too.
            I sat back in my chair again, brain spinning.  What to do?  How? What? The guilt thing rose up again.  How could I think of doing something to my husband?  Maybe I really was crazy.  I had my dead grandmother screaming in my head.  Was that normal?  Then I looked again at the stream of daily messages to Her.  I slid the plain gold band off my finger for the first time in twenty-eight years.  “I divorce thee,” I whispered to it.  “I divorce thee.  I divorce thee.”  I placed the ring carefully on the table by my chair.  It had meant something to me.  But women in my family just plain did not divorce.  There had to be another way......
Copyright 2012 © Jane Kenealy

No comments:

Post a Comment